Owners Corporations face on the spot fines of up to $33,000 per breach in relation to asbestos in buildings constructed prior to 1 January 2004.*
The Work Health Safety legislation says the person responsible is the owner who must select a competent inspector to identify risk, eg asbestos.
For Strata Schemes to comply the Owners Corporation must:
- Survey the property
- Prepare an Onsite Asbestos Register (OAR)
- Prepare an onsite Asbestos Management Plan (AMP)
If Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) are not found – the OAR must still be kept onsite.
The OAR must also:
- have a site plan identifying WHERE asbestos has been found;
- install a sign at each entry/exit identifying the presence of Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs).
AMPs must contain an incident management system – this should include a Safe Work Methods Statement (SWMS) for contractors to read and acknowledge BEFORE they commence any work onsite.
Tyrrells has been carrying out Asbestos Surveys for many years. Tyrrells consultants have completed the Asbestos Identification & Management TAFE course and are experienced building professionals able to help you eliminate risk in this important area.
We can provide the following to ensure you are compliant:
- Complete onsite survey and testing using accredited NATA laboratories
- Prepare any required OAR and AMP
- Install a document box with 003 keys
- Provide specific training and information; triplicate record book for contractors to sign when carrying out work.
For further information please contact us, or for bookings call us on 1300 131 270.